Shop Safety Procedures
Before working in the shop, students should be properly trained on the piece(s) of equipment they plan to use. They should know the hazards associated with the different types of tools in the shop and know the necessary safety precautions that must be taken.
Basic safety rules can help prevent hazards associated with the use of shop equipment:
- Keep all tools in good condition with regular maintenance.
- Use the right tool for the job.
- Examine each tool for damage before use and do not use damaged tools.
- Operate tools according to the manufacturer’s’ instructions.
- Provide and use properly the right PPE (personal protective equipment)
- If you don’t know, ASK! There is no such thing as a stupid questions.
Pit Safety Procedures
Students should only be in the pit at competition if they are a member of the pit team currently on duty or if they were asked to be in the pit by a Coach.Basic safety rules can help prevent hazards associated with working in the pit at competition:
- Safety glasses should be worn at ALL TIMES
- Keep safety gloves on hand so they can be used when working on the robot if necessary
- Limit distractions while working in the pit
- Keep all work surfaces free from clutter
- NO food and NO open drinks in the pit
- Have First Aid Kit and Battery Spill Kit easily accessible in pit
- Pay attention for announcements from Pit Admin
- No Daisy Chaining of any kind